What happened when Gabbard and Crenshaw found out they had been drafted?

Forgive me, but I’ve been focused on getting me and my loved ones out of NYC pronto. Moving is, to say the least, all-consuming. I haven’t had a chance for campfires, and I don’t see any relevant posts here. So, I would like to know what happened after the draft. I know that 3rd parties were invited to accept our nominees onto their ballots, which I found quite weak in comparison with what I was hoping for. That’s about all I know. Did Gabbard and Crenshaw respond at all to our intiative and selection of them? Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

3 Likes

Firstly, good luck with your move. No one can blame you for attending to you and your’s first. Unfortunately, we did not create enough groundswell for our candidates to publicly acknowledge their having been drafted. Unity2020 has been suspended and Unity 2022 is now the aim. Again, best of luck with your relocation efforts.

3 Likes

Thank you! Tulsi seems very energized for a lame duck, doesn’t she? I wonder whether it helps to have our wind at her back–maybe just a little. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re welcome. Maybe, it can’t hurt to know that a huge segment of America would prefer you to be their president over either candidate from the lame duopoly. I could see Tulsi continuing to gather momentum heading into 2024. Same for Justin Amash and a few other politicians. In the meantime, hopefully Unity 2022 can continue to grow and expand its influence.

3 Likes

Yes, now is the time to position the Unity movement for the coming years. Have you considered drafting a seasoned and savvy political leader? After Nov. 3, all options are open and that’s the time to form the coalition with the Greens and Libertarians. Need a win-win approach which may be one from Unity and one from one of the others?

1 Like

I found it difficult to build that groundswell because:

• Tulsi supporters have heard her say dozens of times that she wouldn’t run third party. When the ballot access plan was announced, that killed any hope of getting them onboard.

• While Tulsi is well-known for working across the aisle, people seemed to choose Crenshaw because he’s a popular guy on the right who said that he’s friends with Tulsi. During his Campfire with Bret, he constantly criticized the left.

• Tulsi supporters especially love her anti-interventionist stance and couldn’t reconcile that with his interventionism.

• Voters in general view this as a must-win election for one side or the other, and they seem to already be locked in to either the Trump camp or the Biden camp. No amount of sharing the Double Safe video could convince them that #Unity2020 wouldn’t be a spoiler.

I found strong support among Tulsi supporters for a ticket with Justin Amash on it. He has been a very vocal non-partisan and would be a more convincing Unity nominee. Neither Tulsi nor Amash is re-running for Congress, but if both maintain their images in the public eye over the next two years (can you believe campaigning for the 2024 election begins just over two years from now?), they would make a formidable non-partisan ticket.

2 Likes

Yes, I am 100% with you on everything that you said. I was a little shocked that Amash did not make the cut to be perfectly honest. I voted for him and I know of some other people that did, also. A Tulsi/Amash ticket would have went over better with the libertarians as well. I thought that they might have quickly confirmed that McRaven and Crenshaw were not viable candidates, and put the next two candidates from the right on our list. But you are absolutely correct in that 2022 is only a couple of years away and they should both be able to garner some momentum between now and then. Hopefully, Unity2022 can likewise continue to gain momentum in the interim.

1 Like

To be honest with you, Drew, I was only vaguely familiar with Amash before the #Unity2020 nomination deadline. I had heard his name all over the news after he announced that he was leaving the Republican Party and becoming independent. I started paying more attention to him only after several people in the Articles of Unity FB group started talking about him. I looked into him and was blown away. Like Tulsi, he is anti-interventionist and seems dedicated to doing what’s right for the American people rather than toeing the party line. And he’s not afraid to speak truth to power. I’ve watched Bret’s Campfire discussion with him a few times now, and I found him to be non-partisan and very likable. I truly believe that he and Tulsi would be a tough ticket to beat in 2024 regardless of which candidates the Republicans and Democrats run.

3 Likes